For the shortbread:
- 1 cup butter (Unsalted)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 eggs
For the lemon curd:
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 2 large lemons (juiced)
Options to top off bars:
- Powder sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a laege bowl, mix the softened butter, 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup sugar together.
- Take the dough and press it into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm and golden.
- Pull out of the oven and let it cool while you make the lemon topping.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup of white flour.
- Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice.
- Pour lemon rolling over the baked crust.
- Place pan in the oven for 20 more. Pull the bars out out and let them cool. The bars will firm up when they are cool.
- (Optional) You can serve them plain, or get creative and add toppings. A simple topping is to sift powder sugar on top of the bars.
- Serve and enjoy!